There are so many choices when it comes to building or replacing a fence for your home. There are lots of options for materials, but the two most popular out there are wood and vinyl. Both materials have their pros and cons, so it’s essential to consider which would be for you.
Fences offer privacy and security for you and your family, and they also provide safe parameters for pets and children. They look good much of the time, and they enhance the curb appeal of your home.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of your fence choices, and you can ensure that you make the right decision for you.
The pros and cons of wooden fences are simple, and we’ve got them listed for you below:
- Excellent range of styles available
- Sustainable material
- Cheaper than vinyl
- Can be stained many colors and painted, too
- Wood fences require a lot of regular maintenance to keep the wood healthy
- Wood can quickly rot, sag and peel
- Fences made of wood are susceptible to natural damage from insects and termites
- Requires professional installation
On the other side, vinyl fencing is another option that could work for your back yard or perimeters to your house.
- Vinyl fencing is far more durable than many other fencing options
- Doesn’t require as much maintenance as wooden fencing
- Repairs for vinyl are easily made
- You don’t have to paint or stain vinyl fencing
- No worries about fading or chipping
- Resists insect attacks and termites
- Compared to wooden fencing, it’s much easier to install
- More expensive than other materials
- Fewer color choices and styles to buy
- Harder to get rid of
When you harvest wood fences, they are sustainable and eco-friendly. It’s the softer wood options that are more sustainable, but the flipside of this is that you may need to replace the fencing far more regularly than any other material.
Vinyl fences are a longer-lasting option compared to wood, but you may find it hard to recycle it in comparison. Some vinyl fencing can be made from recycled content, and this can increase sustainability, but not all vinyl options are made this way.
Vinyl is the clear winner in the durability stakes as it is extremely low maintenance as a material. Wooden fences often need more staining or painting, and it’s very common for wood fences to peel and sag over time. Wood fences also have the small issue of rusty nails poking through, which means that they may not be the best option out there. As vinyl is a type of plastic fencing, it remains durable throughout its life, possibly only needing replacement much later on.
Vinyl wins as the best option for your fencing needs, and the best thing that you can do is to look for the vinyl options from Savannah Fencing Co to see how we can assist you with your fencing solutions.